My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://theviewfromchennai.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

One woman's thoughts on urban planning and urban life in a south Indian metropolis.

02 December 2008

The world's most perfect junk food

I thought the south Indian tiffin couldn't possibly get any better. I was wrong. The forces of globalization have created in Chennai the world's most perfect junk food: the cheese dosa. A paper thin rice flour crepe folded around a salty cheese filling. Served with sambar and three kinds of coconut chutney (!!!) at the Sangeetha Hotel near my house.

5 comments:

sansmerci said...

hey nice blog here.. i write reviews on chennai restaurants ar chennaifoodreviews.blogspot.com chek it out too

u can write ur reviews on chennai.burrp.com and get rewarded well .. u write so well u deserve to write there.. thought will let u kno..

hapy blogging ! :)

Anonymous said...

How much does one dosa cost? Do you usually get one or two?

Editrix said...

I'm so jealous. There's a Hotel Saravanaa Bhavan on Lexington Ave in Manhattan but I don't go there enough! If I could have a dosa a day, I would truly be in heaven.

Nithya V. Raman said...

Dear Sansmerci -- thank you so much for reading and for commenting! I will look at chennai.burp.com. Alexa -- one cheese dosa is expensive (relative to everything else on the menu at Sangeetha's): Rs. 60, or a little over a dollar. I eat one. Or most of one. The thing's such a greasebomb, I can't even finish it. Claire -- I have a dosa a day, but I hope that heaven is better than this. I live across from a mosquito infested canal that carries more sewage and garbage than water.

Unknown said...

so you're taking me here when i come visit. where else should we go?